Wednesday, February 27, 2008

In this Sikh family, schizophrenia was no bar to being an affectionate father




When Sathnam Sanghera was growing up in Wolverhampton his father suffered from undiagnosed schizophrenia and spent hours and hours just watching TV during the day. He never brought his son fishing or showed him how to ride a bike.

But, writes Sathnam in his book If you don't know me by now (Viking, 2008) "The best offering a fathe can make his children is himself, and in this respct mine was fantastic. He was always around. He was there at breakfast and at teatime.....And he also walked me to school every day. Several times a day, in fact: he would be with me on the ten-minute walk from home to school in the morning; on the ten-minute walk back from school to home at lunchtime; on the ten-minute walk from home to school at the end of lunchtime; and on the ten-minute walk back from school at the end of the day."

When, at the age of seven, he started primary school, "I was old enough to make my own way. But when, on my first day at primary school, Dad appeared at the front door as usual - five minutes early, staring at his watch, repeatedly checking his pockets for his housekeys, as usual - I took his hand gratefully."

The full title of the book - about growing up in a Sikh family - is If you don't know me by now: a memoir of love, secrets and lies in Wolverhampton and it is published on 6th March.

(This is the complete post. Ignore "Continue reading" link below.)

No comments: